What is jaundice?
Jaundice is not a disease but rather a sign that can occur in many different diseases. Jaundice is the yellowish staining of the skin and sclera (the whites of the eyes) that is caused by high levels in blood of the chemical bilirubin. The colour of the skin and sclera vary depending on the level of bilirubin. When the bilirubin level is mildly elevated, they are yellowish. When the bilirubin level is high, they tend to be brown.
Jaundice is a sign of an underlying disease process. . Common signs and symptoms seen in individuals with jaundice include:
- Yellow discoloration of the skin, mucous membranes, and the whites of the eyes,
- Light-colour stools,
- Dark-colour urine, and
- Itching of the skin.
The underlying disease process may result in additional signs and symptoms.
These may include:
- Nausea and vomiting,
- Abdominal pain,
- Loss of appetite,
- Swelling of the legs and abdomen, and
- Newborn jaundice.
In newborns, as the bilirubin level rises, jaundice will typically progress from the head to the trunk, and then to the hands and feet.
Additional signs and symptoms that may be seen in the newborn include:
- Poor feeding,
- Changes in muscle tone,
- High-pitched crying, and
Pre-hepatic (before bile is made in the liver)-Jaundice in these cases is caused by rapid increase in the breakdown and destruction of the red blood cells (haemolysis), overwhelming the liver’s ability to adequately remove the increased levels of bilirubin from the blood.
Examples of conditions with increased breakdown of red blood cells include:
· Sickle cell crisis,
· Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD),
· Drugs or other toxins, and
· Autoimmune disorders.
Hepatic (the problem arises within the liver)-Jaundice in these cases is caused by the liver’s inability to properly metabolize and excrete bilirubin. Examples include:
· Hepatitis (commonly viral or alcohol related),
· Drugs or other toxins,
· Crigler-Najjar syndrome,
· Gilbert’s syndrome, and
Post-hepatic (after bile has been made in the liver)-Jaundice in these cases, also termed obstructive jaundice, is caused by conditions which interrupt the normal drainage of conjugated bilirubin in the form of bile from the liver into the intestines.
Causes of obstructive jaundice include:
· Gallstones in the bile ducts,
· Cancer (pancreatic and gallbladder/bile duct carcinoma),
· Strictures of the bile ducts,
· Congenital malformations,
· Pregnancy, and
· Newborn jaundice.
The following are some common causes of newborn jaundice:
- Physiological jaundice-This form of jaundice is usually evident on the second or third day of life. It is the most common cause of newborn jaundice and is usually a transient and harmless condition
- Maternal-foetal blood group incompatibility (Rh, ABO)-This form of jaundice occurs when there is incompatibility between the blood types of the mother and the fetus. This
leads to increased bilirubin levels from the breakdown of the fetus’ red blood cells (haemolysis).
- Breast milk jaundice-This form of jaundice occurs in breastfed newborns and usually appears at the end of the first week of life. Certain chemicals in breast milk are thought to be responsible. It is usually a harmless condition that resolves spontaneously. Mothers
typically do not have to discontinue breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding jaundice-This form of jaundice occurs when the breastfed newborn does not receive adequate breast milk intake. This may occur because of delayed or insufficient milk production by the mother or because of poor feeding by the newborn. This inadequate intake results in dehydration and fewer bowel movements for the newborn, with subsequent decreased bilirubin excretion from the body.
Treatment With the exception of the treatments for specific causes of jaundice mentioned previously, the treatment of jaundice usually requires a diagnosis of the specific cause of the jaundice and treatment directed at the specific cause, Symptomatic Homeopathy medicines helps to cure almost all type of jaundice. Homeo medicines for jaundice is based under symptoms similarity.
Whom to contact for Jaundice Treatment
Dr.Senthil Kumar Treats many cases of all types of Jaundice, In his medical professional experience with successful results. Many patients get relief after taking treatment from Dr.Senthil Kumar. Dr.Senthil Kumar visits Chennai at Vivekanantha Homeopathy Clinic, Velachery, Chennai 42. To get appointment please call 9786901830, +91 94430 54168 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org,
For more details & Consultation Feel free to contact us.
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
To get Online Homeopathy treatment for Jaundice
Please click the link