Obesity is a state in which there is generalized accumulation of excess fat in the body leading to a body weight of more than 20% of the required weight. Obesity invites disability, disease and premature death. Usually obesity is due to positive energy balance. That is the intake of calories is more than the expenditure of calories. It is one of the most common disorders in medical practice and among the most frustrating.
Obesity is a chronic disease that is increasing in prevalence and that poses a serious risk for the development of various diseases, like diabetes mellitus, hypertension, heart disease, gall bladder disease and certain forms of cancer. A crude population measure of obesity is the body mass index (BMI),
BMI=weight in Kilograms/Height in Meters× Height in Meters
Below 18.5 -Underweight
18.5 – 24.9 -Normal
25 – 29.9-Overweight
30 – 34.9 -Obese
35 – 39.9-Severe Obesity
> 40-Morbid Obesity
> 50-Super morbid Obesity
BMI is not about how you look but rather an indication of the effect your weight has on your health.
A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese in adults—you are at a higher risk for certain health problems than those with a lower BMI.
As BMI increases, your risk of health problems increases.
Causes of Obesity
Obesity may be caused due to the following reasons:
- Genetic factors –Genetic inheritance probably influences a person’s chance of becoming fat more than any other factor. These genes enhance the storage of fat when food is limited and causes an increased risk of obesity when food is abundant and energy expenditure is reduced.
- Eating Habits-Certain eating habits of people may lead to obesity. Nibbling between meals is a potential cause for obesity.
Some people consume food faster, without enough time to chew, therefore tend to consume more food. Obese people respond to external cues to eat rather than internal hunger signals. They eat when it is mealtime or when they are surrounded by tasty foods instead when they are hungry. People tend to overeat when they are depressed or in order to avoid wastage of food.
- Physical activity-Obesity is found in persons who lead sedentary lives and pay less importance to physical education. Though obesity can occur at any age, this is more common during middle age when physical activity decreases without corresponding decrease in food consumption.
- Endocrine factor-Obesity is found in hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism and Cushing’s syndrome.
- Trauma-Obesity may follow due to damage of hypothalamus after head injury because it is not able to regulate appetite or satiety.
- Prosperity and civilisation-Obesity is common in people of the higher economic strata of society, IT is hard to make a cut-and-dried classification of obesity.
Treatment of Obesity
It is very important to discuss all medications you are taking with your physician.
Phentermine remains available, but is approved only for short-term use.
Sibutramine (Meridia) is approved for longer-term use, but may cause an increase in blood pressure and should be used with caution and only with regular medical monitoring.
Orlistat (Xenical) is a medication that blocks the absorption of dietary fat and is also approved for longer-term use. However, it causes unpleasant side effects (greasy stool), and you also need to supplement your diet with fat-soluble vitamins.
Although surgery (such as gastric bypass) is the last resort for the treatment of obesity, it can be extremely effective. However, such operations can carry significant risks, especially in the post-operative period. Consensus recommendations are to limit surgical therapies to patients with morbid obesity (BMI > 40).
Homeo treatment for Obesity
Symptomatic Homeo medicines help to control weight gaining and help to reduce over weight without any side effects.
Whom to contact for Obesity Treatment
Dr.Senthil Kumar Treats many cases of Obesity, In his medical professional experience with successful results. Many patients get relief after taking treatment from Dr.Senthil Kumar. Dr.Senthil Kumar visits Chennai at Vivekanantha Homeopathy Clinic, Velachery, Chennai 42. To get appointment please call 9786901830, +91 94430 54168 or mail to email@example.com,
For more details & Consultation Feel free to contact us.
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
To get Online Homeopathy treatment for Obesity
Please click the link