Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD); Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS);
Polycystic ovary disease is a condition in which there are many small cysts in the ovaries, which can affect a woman’s ability to get pregnant. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) causes women to have a variety of symptoms.
Symptoms of PCOS /PCOD
- Irregular or no menstrual periods
- Patients have abnormal menstruation-menstrual period gap is 35 days to 6 months, approximately 3-6 menstrual periods per year) or secondary amenorrhea (an absence of menstrual for 6 months).
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding and infertility are the other consequences of anovulatory menstrual cycles
- Chronic anovulation. (Absence of egg)
- Some women have Oligomenorrhoea (means very less menstrual bleeding…)
- The menstrual irregularities in PCOS usually manifest around the time of menarche.
- Obesity, weight gain, Obesity is present in nearly half of all women with PCOS.
- In women, metabolic syndrome is characterized by abdominal obesity (waist circumference > 35 in.),
- Excess hair growth-Hair is commonly seen on the upper lip, chin, around the nipples, and in lower abdomen.
- Some patients have acne and/or male-pattern hair loss (androgenic alopecia).
- Hyper androgenism clinically manifests as excess terminal body hair in a male distribution
pattern- A few patients may also have increased muscle mass, deepening voice, and/or clitoromegaly due to excessive androgens.
Other signs and symptoms of PCOS include:
- Oily skin,
- A subset of women with PCOS is infertile.
- Most women with PCOS ovulate intermittently. Pregnancy may take longer than in other women, or women with PCOS may have fewer children than they had planned
- Skin discolorations,
- High cholesterol levels,
- Elevated blood pressure,
- Abnormal hair growth.
- Sleep apnoea: Many women with PCOS have obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. These patients have excessive daytime somnolence and have apnoea/ hypopnoea episodes
Physical examination findings
- Hirsutism: Patients may have excessive body hair in a male distribution pattern and acne. Some patients have virilizing signs, such as male-pattern balding or alopecia, increased muscle mass, deepening voice, or clitoromegaly; these findings should prompt a search for other causes of hyper androgenism.
- Obesity: Most of women with PCOS have abdominal obesity characterized by a waist circumference of greater than 35 in (>88 cm).
- Acanthosis nigricans: This is a diffuse, velvety thickening and hyper pigmentation of the skin. It may be present at the nape of the neck, axillae, area beneath the breasts, intertriginous areas, and exposed areas (e.g., elbows, knuckles). In patients with PCOS, acanthosis nigricans is thought to be the result of insulin resistance.
- Blood pressure: Patients may have elevated blood pressure with a systolic blood pressure of 130 mm Hg or higher and diastolic blood pressure of 85 mm of Hg or higher.
Polycystic Ovaries; Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD); Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS); Stein-Leventhal syndrome; Polyfollicular Ovarian Disease
Medications used to treat the symptoms of polycystic ovary disease include:
- Birth control pills
- Clomiphene citrate
Treatment with clomiphene citrate causes the pituitary gland to
produce more FSH. This causes the egg to mature and be released. Sometimes women need stronger fertility drugs to get pregnant.
In women with polycystic ovary disease who also have insulin resistance, glucophage (Metformin), a medication that makes cells more sensitive to insulin, has been shown to make ovulation normal.
Losing weight (which can be difficult) may help to reduce the high insulin levels in the blood. For women with this condition who are overweight, weight loss can reduce insulin resistance, stimulate ovulation, and improve fertility rates.
Note: No one yet knows if metformin is safe for pregnant women. Because the drug crosses the placenta, doctors are concerned that the baby could be affected by the drug. Research is ongoing.
Homeopathy treatment for PCOS / PCOD
Symptomatic Homeopathy medicines are very effective and useful to PCOD/PCOS. Symptomatic Homeo Medicines for Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), helps to regulate the menses cycle, reduce the weight, controls facial hair growth.
Whom to contact for Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment
Dr.Senthil Kumar Treats many cases of Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), In his medical professional experience with successful results. Many patients get relief after taking treatment from Dr.Senthil Kumar. Dr.Senthil Kumar visits Chennai at Vivekanantha Homeopathy Clinic, Velachery, Chennai 42. To get appointment please call 9786901830, +91 94430 54168 or mail to email@example.com,
For more details & Consultation Feel free to contact us.
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us